Gluten Free Cornbread is a fun addition to any meal (or on its own!) that is so delicious, but involves non-gluten-containing flour or cornmeal.
This gluten free cornbread recipe uses corn flour or cornmeal as the only “flour,” resulting in a cornbread that is more dense.
If you like your cornbread to be more cake-like and fluffy, you can substitute some of the cornmeal with a gluten free flour blend instead.
Gluten Free Cornbread Recipe
- 2 cups ground organic cornmeal* (coarsely ground cornmeal will obviously give your cornbread a coarser texture, which many people love)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg, beaten
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted but not hot
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream, buttermilk or coconut milk
- 4 tablespoons honey
*It is important to choose certified organic cornmeal to ensure the cornmeal you are using is non-GMO. Note that GMO corn is implicated in a number of health concerns for both animals and humans.
1. Preheat oven to 400°F.
2. Grease a cast iron skillet (12-inch). You can also make this recipe in a baking dish. Choose an 8-inch pan. Set it aside.
3. Combine cornmeal, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
4. In a separate bowl, mix together with a hand mixer, the egg, butter, sour cream, and honey.
5. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined. Do not over-mix. (Note: mixture will be relatively thin and especially thin if you used milk instead of sour cream.)
6. Pour the mixture into pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown on top and around the edges. Check to see if a toothpick comes out clean. It can take up to 30 minutes to cook if using a glass baking dish versus a cast iron skillet.
(See more recipes for gluten free baking)
- Add chopped jalapeño peppers to the mixture before baking.
- Add chopped onions and/or chopped bell peppers for a fun variation on traditional cornbread.
- If you tolerate dairy, top your cornbread with cheddar cheese, after it’s baked.
- Top it with chopped bacon and cheese.
- Top with sautéed onions.
- Add 1/4 – 1/2 cup of blueberries to the mix before baking.
- After slicing, top with butter and/or honey.
- Add organic canned or fresh sweet corn to the recipe.
Ready to try this gluten free cornbread recipe?