Who would have thought there is a delcious Gluten Free Carrot Cake? Carrot cake is one of our favorites, but it can sometimes seem like a chore with so many ingredients. And, it is definitely one of those recipes you won’t find gluten-free outside your own home. We’ve simplified the ingredients and directions of carrot cake as much as possible to make this recipes easy!
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
3. Shred about 5-8 whole carrots (tips removed and peeled if desired) in a food processor to equal about 3 cups of shredded carrots. We used the Ninja blender for this, making it simple and quick with minimal clean up.
4. In a large bowl mix with mixer until just combined:
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 cup extra virgin coconut oil
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (substitute coconut milk or almond milk if you are dairy intolerant)
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
5. In a smaller bowl combine:
- 2 cups Pamela’s gluten-free artisan flour blend
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
6. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
7. Fold in shredded carrots.
8. Pour into prepared pan(s).
9. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes for two round pans. Bake longer for 9 x 13 Pyrex dish (anywhere from 30 – 40 minutes). Cake is done when a toothpick comes out clean.
10. Allow cake to cool before frosting.
(View more gluten free recipes)
Cream Cheese Frosting:
Combine thoroughly using hand mixer:
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 2 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
NOTE: Double the recipe if you used 2 round pans for your cake as you will need more frosting.
OPTIONAL: Top with 1 cup walnuts, pecans or almonds, chopped.
If you are dairy intolerant, this gluten free carrot cake is delicious without frosting too!